Skype, the most popular VoIP has announced that they will start displaying advertising in its Home tab in the beginning of this week.
The company has just announced the change, insisting that, “the Skype experience is our first priority.” More Doug Bewsher, Skype’s chief marketing officer in an interview in Ad Age said, “We think this is an interesting opportunity for advertisers.”
Currently, the advertising is set to only appear in the Home tab in Skype for Windows, although the company says, it might experiment with ads in other areas and with other clients eventually. The ads won’t interrupt the users VoIP experience “no annoying pop-up ads or flashy banner ads in middle of conversations”. Skype says, the ads will only appear occasionally, and the initial plan is to show one ad from one brand per day. Ads are rolling out in the U.S., U.K., and German markets first.
Here is a detail of what Skype is going to do:
- They are working with some great advertisers, including Groupon, Universal Pictures, and Visa.
- Ads will appear in the US, UK and Germany and advertising sales for Skype are initially focused in those markets.
- Users may only see ads occasionally. Their initial plan is to show an ad from one brand per day in each of the markets where advertising is being sold.
- The ads will appear in the Home tab in Skype for Windows, and we may experiment with ads in other areas as well.
- The ads won’t interrupt users Skype experience. And won’t suddenly see annoying pop-up ads or flashy banner ads in middle of conversations.
- They may use non-personally identifiable demographic data (e.g. location, gender and age) to target ads, which helps ensure that user see relevant ads. For example, if you’re in the US, they don’t want to show the ads for a product that is only available in the UK.
- You can opt out of allowing Skype to share this non-personally identifiable demographic data with advertisers from the Privacy tab in Tools –> Options.
Take a look, how ads will look like:
That’s all, keep yourself updodate by reading our further posts. See Entertainment page for more news and updates.